8.01.2010

The Key to Planning Success

Do lots of research, don't be picky, and follow your instincts.

As I've mentioned many times before, I don't have many married friends (only one... and she got married in Cincinnati). That means I don't have anyone to recommend photographers or florists or DJs. I have to find them all on my own.

The criteria I use to determine if someone makes it to my finalist list:
  • They have good reviews. Yelp is my favorite site to stalk potential vendors. You can find reviews on practically everyone. Each company is entitled to a few negative reviews or raving lunatic ex-brides, but if the negative is over 1/3, it probably really is their fault.
  • They have a nice website. It seems shallow, but a company who doesn't keep up their website makes me think they don't have the money... or they aren't into staying on top of trends. Both of those are giant red flags. If a florist is still showcasing centerpieces from 1992, that's a problem.
  • They respond quickly. It means they care about your business. They probably live by the age-old rule that the customer is always right.
  • They don't claim to do everything. Vendors who say things like, "we don't have a style... your style is our style" are lying and just want your business. Make sure you see samples of their work and ensure that their style meshes with yours. You don't want to end up with a cake wreck because the baker had no idea how to emulate your favorite design.

Overall, if they give you a good feeling, it's probably the right move. At least one of your vendors is bound to let you down at some point, so expect the best, but prepare for the worst.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails