5.24.2010

Choosing Bridesmaids

I'd like to start off by patting myself on the back a little. This past weekend, I completed my first half marathon. If I haven't mentioned it before, I do triathlons. But running has always been my least favorite part, so this was a big accomplishment for me.


I ran the race with one of my college roommates, J. She is one of the ladies I will probably ask to be my bridesmaids.
Playing in the snow our Junior year at college.

But this isn't a decision I'm taking lightly. Since Ryan and I got engaged, I have spent a lot of time agonizing over this. And I've come to one conclusion... there should be a formula.

Maybe I'll be the one to come up with it. Something like: years as friends + frequency of visits + late night phone calls + blood relation + times she held your hair back when you had too much to drink + number of breakups she has seen you through = her score.

Then you would take the girls with the top 3-5 scores, and voila! Bridesmaids!

Yeah... if only.

Because it's never just that simple. The justifications in my brain are all over the place... I've known her forever, but I never see her anymore. I haven't known her very long, but we talk all the time. She and I were best friends for years, but had a falling out. She was my go-to girl for a while, but now lives on the other side of the country.

And don't even get me started on choosing my Maid of Honor!

I think I have my bridesmaids narrowed down to 4, but I'm not comfortable enough with my decision yet to ask them. My biggest worry is hurting someone's feelings. I tried to play the "if-they-were-getting-married-would-they-ask-me" game, but that just made me feel like a jerk.

What I really want is to include everyone! I want a huge group of my best girl friends all hanging out with me on the day of my wedding. Why can't I have that?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails